Department of "Information Technology" was established in 1971 as a profiling in the field: Automated Control Systems and Electronic Computers. Its first head in the period from 1971 to 1989 was a young scientist Ashimov A.A., now academician of NAS of RK, Honored Worker of Science, Doctor of Technical Sciences, and Professor. The backbone of the department formed the young graduates and post-graduates of Moscow and Leningrad universities.
From the first years of its inception, the department became one of the leading groups KazNTU. He has made significant progress on the implementation of scientific research. Here, under the direction of A. Ashimov in Kazakhstan there was created scientific school on the development of theoretical frameworks, models, methods of automated control systems in non-ferrous metallurgy, engineering cybernetics and information technology.
Employees of the department participated in the development of the first ACS on the Ust-Kamenogorsk lead-zinc plant, Shymkent lead plant, Balkhash Mining and Metallurgical Combine, Aktyubrentgene, Aktyubselmashe and other major facilities in the country. Department staff held the 27 international and national scientific conferences, published more than 20 monographs and more than 30 collections of scientific works have been carried out. The department paid great attention to the development of methodological support of the educational process. So, its faculty members published over 100 books and teaching aids. Teaching staff of the Department became the author of State standards of higher education in all computer specialties in Republic of Kazakhstan.
Department has made significant contribution on development and training of highly qualified scientific personnel. Under the guidance of the professors Ashimov A.A, Asaubaev K.S, Dzhaparov B.A, Kaziyev G.Z., Nietalin J.N., Sagyngaliev K.S, Tukeev U.A, Shukayev D.N., and associate professors - Dzharbolov S.I, Zhumagaliyev B.I, Medetov M.M. there were 15 doctoral and more than 80 candidate of science dissertations protected
Professor Shukayev D.N., Head of the Department in 1994-1999 and 2002-2012 years; 1997-2010 years, chairman of the joint dissertation council MES of RK for doctoral and master's theses on specialties: 05.13.01- System analysis, management and information processing, 05.13.06 - Automation and management of technological processes and manufactures, and 05.13.10 - Management in social and economic systems.
The most important pride of the department is its graduates; their number is more than three thousand. The department graduates became Rectors and Directors of educational institutions and research organizations, Governors of provinces and major cities, Heads of national agencies and the Committees.
The department actively cooperates with leading universities and research centers of the world: together with the Institute for the Control of the Russian Academy of Sciences carried out a major research program on parametric regulation of the country's economy, professors from New York University, University of New Mexico, and the University of Ottawa actively participated in the preparation and development of our PhD doctors.
In September, 2012 as the Head of the Department Balgabayeva L.Sh., PhD, Associate Professor was appointed. Under her leadership, the department organized the International scientific-practical conference "Information and telecommunication technologies: education, science, practice" dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the Institute of Information and Telecommunication Technologies of Kazakh National Technical University named after K.I. Satpayev (5-6 December 2012). The Conference was attended by leading scientists of Kazakhstan, CIS and foreign countries, including graduates of the Institute of information and telecommunication technologies, employees of KazNRTU and other leading universities of Kazakhstan.
Since August, 11, 2016, Saparkhojayev Nurbek Pazharbekovich, PhD on specialty «Information Systems», graduate of the Presidential Program «Bolashak» was appointed as new Head of Department.
Goals and objectives
The purpose of the Department of "Information Technology" - qualitatively prepare competitive specialists with expertise in the use of modern means of data collection, storage, retrieval, distribution, processing and analysis of information by using high-performance educational technology.
Objectives of the Department:
- Preparation of the graduates for activities in continuous self-improvement and self-development, learn new knowledge, skills and abilities on innovative areas of development;
- Preparation of the graduates who are competent in the system understanding the domain, having the skills of scientific, educational and research activities based on modern teaching methods using modern learning tools and information resources;
- Preparation of the graduates based on the selection of individual learning paths based on the current catalog of elective subjects of the curriculum;
- Support the relevance of the curriculum elective courses based on continuous improvement of professional skills;
- Preparation of the graduate as a new competitive research specialist, competent in science, knowing the worldwide experience and trends of IT - cluster of information systems technologies;
- Education in the spirit of patriotism, friendship of the peoples of the Republic of Kazakhstan, respect for different cultures, traditions and customs;
- Training of specialists able to demonstrate a systematic understanding of the subject area specialty, to carry out research work in the field of IT technologies;
- Preparation of the graduates competent in the production and management, engineering design, organizational, technological, scientific and educational activities and research activities;
- The active use of disciplines taught how systematic and analytical understanding of the subject area;
- Preparation of the graduates based on modern teaching methods using modern training tools, information resources;
- Preparation of the graduates to use foreign experience based on the training of PhD students in leading foreign universities, attracting to lecture and training professors from leading universities in the world.
Mission of the Department: having the status of the Base Department of MES RK for the group of computer and information specialties, Department contributes its input to the training of highly qualified new generation of professionals with a competitive level of knowledge, abilities and skills in various fields of human activity, ready to be successful in organizations, public institutions of Kazakhstan and beyond.
Strategy of the Department:
1. Preparation of the graduate as a new competitive specialist in the field of IT - in information systems cluster with respect to global experience and trends.
2. The education of students in the spirit of patriotism, friendship of the peoples of the Republic of Kazakhstan, respect for different cultures, traditions and customs.
3. In connection with the special status KazNRTU - "Research University" strengthening the research component in the educational process, using scientific and pedagogical potentials of teaching staff of the Department.
4. Training of specialists who are able to demonstrate a systematic understanding of the subject area of the specialty; mastering in terms of the skills and research methods used in the IT technologies in the cluster of information systems.
5. Preparing graduates for activities in continuous self-improvement and self-development, learning new knowledge, skills and abilities on innovative areas of development.
6. Preparation of the graduate based on the selection of individual learning paths based on the current catalog of elective subjects of the curriculum. Support for the relevance of the elective courses curriculum based on continuous improvement of professional skills.
7. Preparing graduates competent in the production and management, engineering design, organizational and technological activities. Active use of disciplines, reflecting the production and business realities - «information systems environment».
8. Preparation of the graduate, based on modern teaching methods using modern training tools, information resources.
9. Preparing a graduate with overseas experience of teaching professionals at various levels in the leading foreign universities, attracting to lecture and training professors from leading universities of the world.